[TheThinkTank] Rental Reservation Systems

Josh Goran josh at ohiocitycycles.org
Fri May 15 12:29:02 PDT 2015

We currently have paper release forms which include time out and time
returned, but we schedule using a Google calendar and a Google form for
sizing information for our "Performance Rentals." We're scaling back our
rental program, though, and I would not be surprised if we phase it out or
dramatically simplify it.

We've historically loaned out bikes for free to members, but we're phasing
out membership and I'll be happy to see the end of people borrowing bikes
and returning them late/beat up/etc and not doing their share to re-tune
them. Also, it will probably mean that we'll sell/let volunteers earn at
least some of our coveted rental bikes, and they'll then get used all the
time rather than a few times a year.

Relatedly, we are phasing out our parts library, as well, which often had
similar results: underutilized except for well-meaning but problematic
users who kept things out too long or needed to be reminded to return
something.

I mainly share these details because I think it is important in the early
stages of your organization to keep things simple - we're currently in the
process of intensely scaling back and simplifying policies and programs
that have been in existence for a decade and it takes a lot of work to
eliminate work - being more deliberate and analytical early on would have
things much simpler and more efficient now :)

*More details if you want:*
Library
<http://ohiocitycycles.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=113-library&Itemid=53>
Rentals