[TheThinkTank] THE LIST

Joshua Hoffman joshuahof at gmail.com
Thu May 21 10:01:10 PDT 2015

Here is a searchable document
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1S0FOc6ZJA-wYWo4qZ4yx75SBFq53aD8ELY1JGBt6UQY/edit?usp=sharing>
if you want to check for your shop.

NOTE: So far THE LIST <https://www.facebook.com/lists/792013340883812> only
includes shops that run cooperatively or at very least include some DIY
elements. I've done this for a specific reason.... I'm an anti-capitalist.
I'm interested in how bikes build community and engage people in acts of
cooperation and self-determination. There are many "non-profit" shops that
sell used bikes for high prices because they believe it will "raise the
perceived value" of bikes. There is nothing inherently wrong with this
approach except that I'm not interested in money or perceived value. I'm
interested in more people learning to do more things for themselves and for
others. Cooperatives have the potential to lower costs by focusing on
mission rather than profit. They can also transform the social
relationships between humans by substituting hierarchy for equality. The
benefits of encouraging DIY are obvious.

What do you all think? Should I include all "non-profit" bike shop
regardless of their mission? What are the arguments for/against?