[TheThinkTank] Strategic Planning

momoko saunders analyst at bikefarm.org
Thu May 21 15:58:46 PDT 2015

Bike farm went through a super low key planning meeting of sorts in
September 2014.

We got together with the specific intention of talking about the future of
bike farm. We discussed what we do well, what we'd like to see ourselves do
more of and imagined what the collective might look like in two years. We
then looked at our brainstorming and pulled out 5 or so distinct themes.
(ex: shop improvements, work shops, out reach, specific events...) Then we
broke out into groups of people who were particularly interested in any of
these themes.

The objective of the groups were to determine the details of how to
accomplish the various goals, discuss if they align with our mission, and
all the nitty gritty of whether or not we ought to pursue the idea. We set
dates as targets for achieving, and listed resources we would need. We then
put all the info on a calendar and tried to ensure that we were not piling
on too much.

Given that we are an all volunteer run collective, i.e. no paid staff and
people participating as they please, we did not accomplish all we set out
to do. The benefit of the exercise is not what you accomplish, but rather
getting on the same page and creating focus in the group. Also, when you
set goals, you create metrics by which to gauge what you have done.

I'd say it was worth the energy spent (about 2.5 hours of meeting and $40
for pizza). It becomes more and more important as you have a larger
collective, say 15 people or more. All these moving parts can get out of
sink pretty easily.

good luck!
-momoko