[TheThinkTank] THE LIST

Angel York aniola at gmail.com
Thu May 21 17:11:33 PDT 2015

Hi Joshua,

Both of the bike collectives I have volunteered at are consensus-based
organizations.  The Davis Bike Collective spent a year putting together its
by-laws and running them past a lawyer to ensure that the board had no
formal decision-making power, but was instead beholden to the decisions
made by the core volunteers.  I believe the legal definition of a co-op has
to do with purchasing power, where as a collective we didn't have to have
that orientation and could instead focus on our priority, which was helping
people learn how to fix bikes. Food co-ops are usually co-ops because they
are about *buying* food. So I'm not sure that a co-op is actually less
capitalist, and given what I hear you saying you value, I would be also
asking how the various organizations are making their decisions.  Also,
have you checked the wiki page of community bicycle organizations?  It has
a long-standing list including the criteria that I believe more or less
helps guide who might be interested in participating in, say, this list.

The more lists the better! I look forward to thr day when there are so many
lists of community bike organizations that you need lists of lists to keep
track of them! Thanks for creating one such list!

Angel York