[TheThinkTank] dealing with volunteers who have been really offensive?

Simon Z youractionsdefineyou at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 12:37:36 PDT 2007

I can't speak for everyone on our collective, but I've personally
experienced a fair range of unacceptable behavior from our volunteers
and shop users.

For collective members, we have an internal process written into our
bylaws for discussion removal if all else fails -
http://www.austinyellowbike.org/about_ybp.htm (see link at bottom of
page, currently not functioning though...). The only problems I remember
us dealing with are unfriendliness of shop coordinators and the resale
of donated bikes and parts for personal profit.

The "policies" below are very informal as we haven't finalized our shop
manual:

The minor problems I have experienced with volunteers are them
mis-informing other shop users on aspects of bicycle maintenance, use of
facilities without donating time or money in return or not finishing up
personal bike repairs within shop hours and causing shop coordinator to
stay late. In these cases, we let the volunteer know that there is a
problem with their behavior and if it happens repeatedly, they are
banned from the shop for a month (by collective consensus) and can only
return if they come to the next collective meeting after the ban expires
and promises not to repeat their problem behavior. If it still
continues, they are banned indefinitely.

Another minor issue is the misuse of shop time by community service
volunteers. We can't supervise them the whole time, so we let them know
that we are a laid back place to do community service hours, better than
most, but if they abuse that by not working we will not sign off on
their hours at the end of the shop. This is quite effective.

The major problems I have seen are sexual harassment, threats of
violence, panhandling, theft from the shop or use of the shop by known
bike thieves. None of these behaviors are tolerated and shop
coordinators are free to remove and ban indefinitely anyone doing this.
We try to keep a photographic record of these offenders to display in
our shops.

Simon
Yellow Bike Project, Austin, TX