[TheThinkTank] Bike Collectives Doing Advocacy Work

Erik Ryberg ryberg at seanet.com
Fri Aug 31 10:48:58 PDT 2007

I am interested in this discussion too.  Our group, BICAS, does not
explicitly do advocacy (though it depends what you mean by that -- we
have robust programs for "disadvantaged youth" and so forth and maybe
the folks doing that work would consider it advocacy) but I think we
come pretty close, and of course individually we are all
advocacy-minded.  My law practice is about fifty-percent bike advocacy.

But it is hard to take too critical a stance as an organization when you
have strong connections with local governments that are fruitful in
accomplishing your main mission.  BICAS does a lot with the City of
Tucson and those relationships are important to us, even though most
individual cyclists here pretty much cannot stand the general
city-cyclist relationship.

I should say that although I am on the BICAS collective, I am not an
employee there and I am not the best source of information about BICAS
and its programs, but the advocacy question is one I have grappled with
considerably and I am interested to hear how it has panned out with
other bike collectives.

Erik B. Ryberg
Attorney at Law
445 W. Simpson Street