[TheThinkTank] Content Management Systems

Bikes Not Bombs mail at bikesnotbombs.org
Wed Oct 10 12:59:17 PDT 2007

We've just moved the Bikes Not Bombs website to Drupal.  I think it
is the best free CMS option out there.  (There's also Joomla which
may be a little easier to figure out, with fewer features.)  Drupal
is definitely hard to figure out at first ... especially to set up
just a regular old public website, since at its core it seems much
more geared to doing collaborative community websites with blogs/
forums etc.  We haven't yet, but will, set up the kinds of things you
are talking about with volunteer login, different tiers of login and
access, wiki, etc.  But I know that Drupal is one of the best tools
out there for doing this.  For the public side of your site, you
won't exactly get a wiki-like interface or wysiwyg editing, tho there
may be tools that can help with that.  David Mercer's book is a
useful resource.

I can answer basic questions, but I had some tech volunteers really
do the nuts and bolts, and they aren't on this listserve.  So if you
want info email me directly at arik at bikesnotbombs.org ... I may have
to pass on some of your questions to my tech pros.

-Arik