[TheThinkTank] selling bikes

Kyle McKinley cariadkyle at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 18 18:04:18 PDT 2007

I actually can't remember if I've answered this question before...
Here goes:
At the Bike Church in Santa Cruz, bikes are sold either 'as is' (no
wrenching done, although it is important to remember that we all spend a lot
of time and intellectual labor GETTING the bike onto a hook in the shop) or
as a mechanic's pet project. 'As is' bikes are typically priced between
$15-$75 depending on all of the concerns that everyone else is posting to
the list, and how much work needs to be done to make it safe and efficient.
Desireability also plays a role in pricing. Bikes that mechanics (core/staff
members) work over are priced by deducting the WHOLESALE price of new parts
put on the bike, and then splitting the remainder between the mechanic and
the shop. Thus, if a bike sells for $150, and there are $50 of new parts on
it, the mechanic would take $50 and the shop would take $50. The mechanic
sets the asking price based on the amount of labor put in and the
desirability factors mentioned above. True, such systems do result in some
cherrypicking, so a bike has to be kicking around 'as is' for a month before
a mechanic can take it on, and, honestly, NOONE is ever gonna get rich
fixing up busted bikes in the middle of the night, no matter how sweet the
frame is.

At BICAS, where I am about to rush off to a collective meeting for, things
are slightly different. the 'as-is' bikes are called 'pergatory; bikes in
waiting' (which I just love) and though the factors for pricing are pretty
similar the prices tend to be a bit lower here than in Santa Cruz (the
bikes, overall, are a bit more toward the huffy side though; in Santa Cruz
we turn those back at the gate, no room, no desire to haul other peoples
metal recycling, whereas BICAS has a lot more room and need for all types
of, uh, 'bikes'). At BICAS the 'floor bikes' (those that a mechanic has gone
over) include in the price the RETAIL value of new parts, the 'as-is' value
of the bike, and a designation for labor. The labor part is a little unclear
policy-wise, as the mechanic approximates the amount of labor that went into
the bike, but is paid as an an employee (each staff member is allocated 4hrs
of paid work/week to wrench on floor bikes, and if it is slow in the shop
staff can work on them then too). This is the main difference from the Bike
Church, where all of the core mechanics are independent contractors
(convenient for income taxes as well as being the actual truth of how tasks
are accomplished).
Sorry that was kinda lenghty; I hope it is helpful.
ride prone but ride proud,
kyle