[TheThinkTank] Craigslist Postings

Mark Rehder mark at re-cycles.ca
Fri Oct 26 14:43:50 PDT 2007

We've often joked about using eBay for some of the nice parts that
have shown up, but don't want to go there.  I did use Craigslist in a
roundabout recently do get rid of a Norco tandem. It ran fine, but
was no great quality and paint-wise a bit ugly.  It was listed as a
private sale and said "proceeds go to the re-Cycles Bicycle Co-op".

It was not complete subterfuge, as the bike was not exactly sold from
the shop.  My brother had taken the bike from us in an incomplete
state and added parts and got it running, and I had said don't pay us
for it until you've actually got it done (he was doing us a favour
getting that beast out of storage room).  He and is wife rode it a
few times and decided a tandem wasn't for them.  So instead of having
them return it to our shop we just posted the ad.  So theoretically
it was his to sell.  ;)

That said, I doubt we would sell bikes straight through local
channels like Craigslist for the reason Simon mentioned.  We pretty
well sell every bike we make ready for sale (some are donated
elsewhere), and it was only this ugly, awkward tandem that needed the
extra help.  Quality parts stay in our shop, and excess standard
parts either become part of our shipment to Africa, or simply
recycled as metal scrap (and now that our local MEC store takes our
dead tires for recycling our garbage now is mainly old seats and
other plastic bits).

Mark