[TheThinkTank] Application Deadline Approaching - COMMUNITY BIKE SHOP MANAGER

Melanie Lyons development at bikeworks.org
Sat Oct 6 09:03:52 PDT 2007

Position Opening: Community Bike Shop Manager, Apply By October 10th, 2007.

Bike Works is a nonprofit organization based in Seattle Washington whose
mission is to build sustainable communities by educating youth and promoting
bicycling.  Bike Works has been working for kids, bikes, and community in
south Seattle since 1996. Our programs and services invest in young people
and encourage bicycling as a clean and healthy transportation alternative.
Our programs include Earn-a-Bike for youth, Summer Bike Camps, Neighborhood
Rides and bike club activities, Community Bike Shop, Annual Kids Bike Swap,
domestic and international bicycle donations to charitable organizations,
and more. Our Community Bike Shop serves Seattle residents from all walks of
life with used bike sales and affordable repairs.

We are looking for an energetic individual who supports our mission, values
and community. Our ideal candidate will bring a unique mix of bike shop
expertise and nonprofit organizational know-how. We seek someone who is
excited about thinking strategically about innovative ways to streamline our
social enterprise business model and strengthen our community impact.
Experience or willingness to learn about developing a business plan would be
A+!  Our Bike Shop Manager must be willing to work hard to create a
professional, empowering, and accessible shop environment for our customers
and staff. Finally, someone with a healthy sense of humor and the ability to
have fun with our funky organization will fit nicely on our team. While this
position requires a great deal of responsibility and experience, it also
offers exciting opportunities for professional growth and making a
difference in our community.

Essential Job Functions:

The Bike Shop Manager assumes primary responsibility for leading the Bike
Works Bike Shop in fulfillment of its mission and vision.  Primary duties
include:

*	Managing daily Bike Shop operations
*	Overseeing and delivering professional customer service to a diverse
customer base
*	Ensuring the financial health of the Shop, successfully meeting
revenue & expense targets
*	Managing and developing shop staff ; recruit, hire, train, manage
and evaluate 2 -5 staff
*	Working in partnership with the Executive Director to guide business
strategy, growth & development
*	Collaborating with Program Staff to support youth programs and
volunteer activities
*	Participating in strategic planning process for the organization,
helping to develop a long term mission driven strategic plan, and annual
operational plans

Desired Qualifications:

*         Strong commitment to youth leadership, sustainable communities and
bicycle transportation

*	Previous experience in retail management and sales preferred; bike
shop experience essential
*	Experience implementing/overseeing bike shop policies & cash control
procedures

*         Three year’s experience successfully managing staff
*         Excellent organizational skills: systems oriented with high
attention to detail
*         Excellent mechanical skills required (preferred 3 yrs professional
experience working on variety of bikes)

*	Strong interpersonal skills & a friendly outgoing attitude with a
desire to work with the public

*         Ability to mentor youth ages 9-17 in engaging and empowering
apprenticeship relationship

*	Ability to multi-task in a fast paced, ever-changing environment
*	Respect for and a commitment to diversity, teamwork, and progressive
social values
*	Basic PC skills, working knowledge of QuickBooks and Microsoft
Office applications

How to Apply:

Send your resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references
to HYPERLINK "mailto:development at bikeworks.org"development at bikeworks.org.

Apply by October 10th, 2007.

Pay Rate & Benefits:
Regular, full-time, non-exempt, salaried position with full benefits.
Monetary compensation commensurate with qualifications and experience.

Melanie Lyons

Assistant Director

Bike Works

3709 S. Ferdinand St.

Seattle, WA  98118

206-725-9408

HYPERLINK "http://www.bikeworks.org"http://www.bikeworks.org

Now hiring!  Bike Works Seattle is currently seeking a Community Bike Shop
Manager to join our team.   Do you know someone who has a passion for
non-profits, community, youth, mechanics and cycling?  If so, please send
them to HYPERLINK
"blocked::http://www.bikeworks.org/"http://www.bikeworks.org for details, or
suggest that they contact us HYPERLINK
"mailto:development at bikeworks.org"development at bikeworks.org.

"Building sustainable communities by educating youth and promoting
bicycling."

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
10:18 AM