[TheThinkTank] selling bikes

Mark Rehder mark at drumbent.com
Fri Oct 19 10:40:57 PDT 2007

Our bike prices are fairly firm, but each Head Mechanic always wiggle
room.

For parts there's quite a bit of wiggle room.  When someone digs up
some Shimano 600 bits I simply ask them "what's it worth to you?".
Since they know what the 600 stuff is then they know it's not cheap
crap and almost never low-ball us.

I even had one guy pay what I thought was too much for two pairs of
white plastic fenders.  He saw them in our shop and got quite excited
because he had been looking all over for them for his two vintage
Peugeots.  When asked what he'd like to pay he said $20 per pair!".
$40 for old white fenders?  I was not going to argue with him, and
wondered if I should've charged him more...  ;)

We've had the odd theft over the years, and a few folks pull the old
"oh sorry, I don't have any money on me", after they've used shop
time and installed parts.  We simply tell them "fine, you owe us
money, and if you don't pay up someday you can enjoy the bad karma
from ripping off a non-profit organization". (Good guilt trip, eh?)

Mark
http://re-cycles.ca