[TheThinkTank] do you have an internship program? details please!

kyle mckinley bicirider at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 17:06:15 PDT 2007

Racchel and all-
It's 5 pm on the 31st and still got no costume, so I'll be more brief
than usual.
BICAS just got a slew (slough?) of interns from a local
independent/charter highschool.
Similarly, these folks are pre-disposed to a radical worldview, and
most of them have been hanging around BICAS for some time. We are
trying to integrate them into our core collective by requesting that,
in addition to the projects that they work on, they come to
collective/staff meetings. They get the same consensus rights as any
other staff at the meetings, and we are trying to brainstorm ideas for
how to most effectively hear their ideas. We intend for the interns to
start a 'youth subcommitee' that would also have regular meeting
times, and might function as a more permanent way to give youth an
active role in BICAS decisionmaking.
That said, things are off to a little bit of a rocky start. Plus, when
BICAS had interns before, I heard that things didn't go all that well.
So I'm really interested to hear how things go with the intern at
SoPo, and any ideas that you might have for us.
more soon,
kyle