[TheThinkTank] Content Management Systems

andrew L. anyone at breathingplanet.net
Wed Oct 10 17:45:28 PDT 2007

I am on this list and have some drupal experience if people end up going
with that option and need specific help... anyone_at_breathingplanet.net
for the revamp of troybikerescue.org, we are going to try out joomla.
for making a good editor in drupal (non-html), try the TinyMCE module.
its kind of a pain in the ass install but well documented in the readme
files that come with it.  when installing new modules, always read the
readme files.

ovr&out
andrew L.
troy bike rescue
troy new york

Bikes Not Bombs wrote:
> We've just moved the Bikes Not Bombs website to Drupal.  I think it
> is the best free CMS option out there.  (There's also Joomla which
> may be a little easier to figure out, with fewer features.)  Drupal
> is definitely hard to figure out at first ... especially to set up
> just a regular old public website, since at its core it seems much
> more geared to doing collaborative community websites with blogs/
> forums etc.  We haven't yet, but will, set up the kinds of things you
> are talking about with volunteer login, different tiers of login and
> access, wiki, etc.  But I know that Drupal is one of the best tools
> out there for doing this.  For the public side of your site, you
> won't exactly get a wiki-like interface or wysiwyg editing, tho there
> may be tools that can help with that.  David Mercer's book is a
> useful resource.
>
> I can answer basic questions, but I had some tech volunteers really
> do the nuts and bolts, and they aren't on this listserve.  So if you
> want info email me directly at arik at bikesnotbombs.org ... I may have
> to pass on some of your questions to my tech pros.
>
> -Arik
>

> On Oct 10, 2007, at 3:03 PM, Andrew Bushaw wrote:
>
>> We have been using pbwiki.com (a free wiki, one login) for our
>> organizing but are starting to feel the need for a tiered access
>> control as well as for an actual website to send the public to. We
>> have been contemplating getting a content management system such as
>> "drupal" to serve both functions. I think the SLBC uses a similar CMS
>> for their website and maybe others do to. How well does it work? Do
>> regular folks have a difficult time using it? our ideal: public web
>> page w/ donation links, a login page with a volunteer only section,
>> then a section for core members only where we would keep fundraising
>> info. Would like it to be easy to edit, with a wiki-like interface,
>> preferably wysiwyg editors. Thanks, Andrew

andrew lynn  |  media worker  |  518-573-7947