[TheThinkTank] Craigslist Postings

Simon Z youractionsdefineyou at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 11:05:34 PDT 2007

We've talked many times at collective meetings about using craigslist as
we have a huge inventory of used parts and bikes, but every time it gets
shot down.

It comes down to the fact that in trying to be an affordable community
bike shop, we are priced below the market value for parts, frames and
used bikes. If it became widely known via craigslist that we were,
speculators would descend on our project and buy up all the decent stuff
for resale online. We'd make more money but it would deprive those who
use our shops for repair or bike building, which is our mission.
Craigslist is definitely populated by bike speculators, at least in our
town, so we are hesitant to be a presence there.

However, for a less established community bike shop looking to build up
capital or promote services, craigslist could be awesome.

Simon
Yellow Bike Project, Austin, TX