[TheThinkTank] Craigslist Postings

Mario Bruzzone mario.bruzzone at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 15:20:24 PDT 2007

 I would encourage all shops to advertise to as wide a range of potential
patrons as possible. Often if you look at the backgrounds of people who
participate in the community bike movements, they are more homogeneous than
heterogeneous. Since we bring in our friends to the shop, and our friends
are similar to us—for obvious reasons—and they bring in further people who
are similar to us, it is easy for our open communities to be
self-reinforcing and, at times, appear closed when they are open.

Any outreach, even craigslist, is a great step away from this, I feel.
Outreach to underserved communities—especially by recruiting volunteers from
those communities—is even better.

At the Bike Kitchen, we don't sell complete, working bikes, but we do have a
number of nicer parts come through. We generally set these in a display case
and charge a couple dollars extra for them.

To prevent the type of mining that Simon's asking about, we have a policy
that parts only leave a shop on a bike—meaning that if you want a
derailleur, you have to come in with a bike that needs a derailleur. The
time factor is enough deterrence from people scavenging the best bits to
sell on eBay, since it's extremely hard to make anything more than a
subsistence wage doing this, and most everyone with detailed knowledge about
the value of Suntour SL is already making more than a subsistence wage.

Cheers,
Mario Bruzzone
Bike Kitchen (SF)