[TheThinkTank] Tools for starters love'm&lose u

rachael spiewak rachael at sopobikes.org
Mon Oct 1 07:52:03 PDT 2007

Continuity of shop staff seems to be making an impact on shop behaviors in
general at the Sopo shop.. that and having an organized shop space.  I'm
there 100% of the time now, and every part and tool has a place to go.  It's
a lot harder for both adults and teens to pull fast ones or conveniently
forget to put something away, and we seem to be collecting a lot more cash
donations since there's one person to hand it all to and items are easy to
find.

I know it's hard to do this unless you're paying someone to be there all the
time (which is what we just started doing .. fingers crossed on the
fundraising front.. I'll post up all of my fun Foundation Center research at
some point in the near future, although I only looked up foundations
headquartered in Atlanta.. I did go to a workshop on internet-based
fundraising, and I'll pass all of that info along to y'all).

Likewise, we count some items as consumables (15 mm box wrenches,
chainbreakers), and we keep fragile and likely to be stolen tools in a
locked cabinet (cable cutter, fourth hand).  And everyone knows that I will
keep them there until those cable cutters are put back in my hands at the
end of the day.  I'm very serious about the cable cutters.  Maybe showing
everyone that the tools matter to Sopo staff helps encourage good shop
behavior, too.

Additionally, we created a "to be sorted" bucket for new donations and tools
that get left out.  It creates a no experience necessary volunteer job, and
it catches items that might otherwise wander off or get left outside.  It
functions a lot like a library reshelving system.

On a somewhat related note, we've started attaching tags to some of the
tools that explain how to use them, or indicate that one should ask for help
if unfamiliar with the tool.  For example, we put tags on cable cutters and
housing cutters to differentiate their usage.  (By the way, when did my
writing get so corporate?)

Of course, none of this is foolproof, and no one method works alone.  Keep
the suggestions coming!

-rachael