[TheThinkTank] meeting ettiquite

An Undercover Cop undercovercop at riseup.net
Tue Oct 16 11:33:35 PDT 2007

if you're going to have beer at meetings, make spaghetti while everyone
gathers and socializes.  start the actual meeting as soon as everyone's
served and seated.  (beer or no, this is a great way to start any
meeting, imho.)

usually, this should give anyone but the lightest of weights the stomach
to have even a couple-three drinks during a meeting without losing the
thread.  and if a meeting that begins with carbo-loading gets to the
point where too many beers have been had, it's probably gone on too long
 anyhow.

that said, dry meetings are--in my experience--shorter, crisper and
(arguably) more productive... in a purely outcome-oriented sort of way.
 but adding spirits and food to the mix make meetings less work (there's
enough of that in the world as it is) and more sociality.  and that's
"productive" of human relationships--which must be at least as important
as foundation funding and shop operations.

of course if you have a willing and tolerant teetotaler (or a gently
domineering lush) on hand, asking them to facilitate may get you the
best of both worlds!

grease, lugs, and rubber,
benB
chi bike project