[TheThinkTank] Craigslist Postings

Mark Rehder mark at drumbent.com
Tue Oct 30 20:07:09 PDT 2007

On 30-Oct-07, at 3:45 PM, Velocipede Bike Project wrote:

>>> recycled as metal scrap (and now that our local MEC store takes our
>>> dead tires for recycling our garbage now is mainly old seats and
>>> other plastic bits).
>>

> that's a question for you guys... what do you do with your old dry
> rotted
> tires?  We can't find anyone that will take them in baltimore.  I
> found
> one place that would charge a dollar a pound to  recycle them,
> obviously
> not an option for us.......
>
> Any ideas about who to talk to and what to do with them if not?
> The only
> reuse idea I've had is to make potts out of them which would be time
> consuming, and only use afew......
>
> Beth
> Velocipede Bike Project
> Baltimore, MD

Before MEC stated taking them from us we just had to throw them out,
because the only other place that would take them charged $1.50 PER
tire!  (MEC pays the processing fee and absorbs the cost as part of
their community outreach budget).

So as you can see, we couldn't find a good use for them either, but
we do save innertubes!  We cut the valves out and give them away as
bungee cords / tie-downs.  They are great for securing things because
they rarely slip once knotted.  And if the knot is too tight to undo
you simply cut it away and your tie-down is now a few inches
shorter.  Big deal - when it finally gets too short your shop will
always have a supply of replacements.  ;)

Mark