[TheThinkTank] Collective members/ordering from QBP

Peter Garver pgarver at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 10:11:47 PST 2008

We have a four-tier policy for all new parts purchasing (including
special orders). Anyone can pay retail, members get retail -15%,
members who volunteer an average of 10 hours a month get -30%, and
staff, board members, and volunteers who accept special
responsibilities get -45% (so we still cover shipping costs and the
time we put in on ordering). We also occasionally sell to another
local bike collective at a very small markup and do some discounts for
clients, mostly on locks and helmets for kids' programs.

It's been this way for our whole "mature" history, and I've never seen
it cause any problems. What it takes to get each discount is very
clear, and only requires a certain commitment of time, not anyone's
approval. It doesn't cause any grief from shops, because the total of
people who can get 30% or more is probably less than 30. I'm pretty
sure it's wholly compatible with all of QBP's policies, too.

Peter