[TheThinkTank] old inner tubes

Anibal Davila caffenated at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 09:11:25 PST 2008

An idea ive been toying with for awhile has been making shop mats out of
inner tubes.  Our shop is in a wooden house with poor sound insulation.
carpets have helped alot in keeping the house owner happy by dampening the
noise. Ordinary carpets have a very short life span, and the really good
industrial rubber ones are almost $80 each. Although we could invest alot of
money into 'real' industrial mats, theres just too much rubber lying around
to not try and make our own.

Failed attempts:

shredding them up and gluing them to a substrate:
Too much rubber cement is required, its too expensive. have not found a good
enough substrate.

cutting them into strips and weaving them:
The edges are prone to fraying. Slippery when wet.

Cutting them into smaller strips and knitting them:
The holes would catch too many small parts. not rigid enough.

Surely someone else has tried this. ideas?

Anibal
Bike Pirate