[TheThinkTank] Keeping track of bike/part sales...

Anibal Davila caffenated at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 13:00:51 PST 2008

We keep our records as slim as possible, because we are lazy. We keep a
ledger in which all finished bike sales are entered. it consists of:

*Description of the bike* - for our own reference.
*How much it went for* - we use this to figure out how much of our income
comes from donations and how much from bike sales. (whatever is not a sale,
was a donation)
*Serial number *-  In case we need to prove that we do not sell stolen
bikes.

A recent addition:  If one our volunteers built up the bike, it has a For
Sale tag, which we keep after the transaction, almost like a receipt. it
also contains: details on what condition the bike was in, who built it, who
safety checked it. at the end of the day all of the days 'receipts' go into
an envelope, so using the ledger as reference, it should be possible to dig
up the receipt with all the specifics.

Anibal, Bikepirate