[TheThinkTank] bike thieves in the shop?

Mark Rehder mark at re-cycles.ca
Wed Jul 2 12:57:48 PDT 2008

We seem to have the opposite problem: we do not have enough
volunteers to be as open as often as we'd like, but on the other hand
we don't tend to have kids in the shop and almost no theft issues.

Re: theft - we caught one guy leaving with parts he did not pay for.
When confronted with this he claimed he should not have to pay
because he had donated bikes to us (yeah, six bikes, all of which
were bad enough that he did not want to work on them, and five had to
be scrapped). After arguing and swearing at us he was banned on the
spot, and he finally left after we said would call the Police if he
didn't leave.

We had to ban another fellow who was a continuing challenge to us.
He is ADHD with some other stuff going on, and we could just not
handle him.  He was caught leaving with something he had not paid
for, he said "oops" and we forgave him, but later, upon him not
meeting some restrictions we had to put on him, we had to ban him for
a year (recently extended).

We had one very keen fellow come in saying he wanted to become a Head
Mechanic.  He was knowledgeable enough, but very impatient with our
request that we need to spend some time getting to know him first
before letting him into the core group and granting key access.  We
grew increasingly wary of him, and one night he said "so, do I get to
be HM or not?" and I said "soon" and he grumbled and headed off.  The
next day our shop was broken into for the first time, and only our
cash box removed (containing about $100).  We never saw the guy
again, and most of us presume he was the culprit.

Since then we are even more cautious when someone wants to become HM
right away...

We've been very lucky with the bikes.  We don't ask for ID for test
rides unless the on-duty HM gets a vibe, and none have disappeared.

Re: kids - we did pass a policy last month saying that children under
the age of 12 had to be accompanied by an adult.  We've only had one
vaguely unpleasant experience: at our previous location a trio would
come in, and only one of them was working on his bike while the other
two started playing around.  I came back into the shop from our
storage room to see one of them waving a rubber mallet at the other,
and so in a very loud voice I said "you two, out of the shop now.
This is not a playground!"  They left under mild protest and never
returned, but for another week or so we heard about them getting back
into the building and playing with the freight elevator.

Considering that our previous shop was located in an area dominated
by assisted housing we rarely had kids come in.  Then again, we did
not court them either, as we do not offer an EAB program.  We simply
do not have the volunteer staff to run such a thing. Which leads to...

Volunteers: we seem to be treading water attracting core vols.  We
have low staff turnover, but when someone does leave we are basically
able t replace them, but not add more.  After ten years we are still
only open three nights per week, and have only added a Sunday
afternoon shift for volunteers because I will go and staff it.

We do have volunteers coming in and working on bikes, but not every
shift, and most are beginners to intermediate. We seem to have little
luck in attracting more experienced mechs. that could help expand our
hours.  Perhaps some come in on a busy Spring evening and think the
shop is too hectic and don't want the responsibility, or the simply
don't come in because they have all their tools at home and have no
need for our shop.

We ARE working our way to more core staff, as our new shop needs two
(one of reach room) so we now have Shop Assistants for the front
room, working as Greeters and selling bikes and parts, and cashing
out those leaving the work room.  Some of the folks will become HMs
in the future.

Mark Rehder - Director
re-Cycles Bicycle Co-op
http://re-cycles.ca