[TheThinkTank] ***DHSPAM*** Re: bike thieves in the shop?

yellow bike austinyellowbike at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 10:43:37 PDT 2008

richard - you're emailing an entire list of subscribers to this group with
your request, not an administrator.

click on this link (at the bottom of all ThinkTank emails), and scroll to
bottom of page to unsubscribe yourself:

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 8:36 PM, Richard Rivas <richardrivas at comcast.net>
wrote:

> Will some one PLEASE take me richardrivas at comcast.net )off your e-mail
> list. Thank you Richard
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Velocipede Bike Project" <
> info at velocipedebikeproject.org>

>>> 2. One or two people assigned to work with kids, in a specific area if
>>> possible.
>>> 3. Kids with minor repairs get help first, then the bigger projects.
> [...]
>>> doing
>>> EAB and open shop at the same time is impossible as each child needs
>>> constant supervision/guidance and a structured environment to learn
>>> effectively.  EAB is on hold/stopped until we come up with something more
>>> meaningful and concrete.
>>>
>>> There will be a triage of sorts when youth come to the shop. The first
>>> bikes
>>> fixed are the ones that have the best chance of being completed (flats,
>>> popped chains, bar/brake adjusts) and then with whatever time is left we
>>> can
>>> work on the baskets.  No matter how badly the kids NEED to ride their
>>> bike
>>> home that night (which they all do...) we help with the basic repairs
>>> first.  Kids that aren't working on their bike must wait outside, which
>>> creates another issue, but at least they're not wandering around the
>>> shop/building.
>>>
>>> As far as "jockish volunteers" we have a hard time with some volunteers
>>> doing all the work on peoples bikes. There's nothing you can do other
>>> than
>>> constantly stressing that your goal is to teach and their hand shouldn't
>>> be
>>> holding the wrench.  Call them out if you must, usually it still goes
>>> over
>>> their heads, try assigning them to other tasks. We also have experienced
>>> surge of "volunteers" lately.  The reason that's in quotes is because
>>> these
>>> people show up to hang out, work on their own bikes and bring more
>>> "volunteers" with them.  I've found that these people are
>>>
>>> To deal with this we've gotten specific about our volunteer roles.  There
>>> is
>>> a Greeter, One Mechanic per workstand, Head Mechanic, Youth
>>> Mentor/Helper,
>>> Back Room Help and Back Room Supervisor.  Each of these positions is
>>> spelled
>>> out in great detail.  When people show up to help on open shop days they
>>> get
>>> assigned a position that is appropriate.  If they're not needed and the
>>> shop
>>> is busy, they're asked to wait outside or to sign up for another day
>>> ahead
>>> of time.  That's the theory anyway....we're working on it.
>>>
>>> Good luck, this past couple months have been a wealth of relavent
>>> information on the Think Tank and I/UBP really appreciate the ability to
>>> learn and share ideas with other organizations, big and small.
>>>
>>> Brian Windle
>>>

>>> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 3:24 AM, <jirs0004 at umn.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>>  Bike theft lead the Grease Pit to close the shop to kids for two weeks

>>> --
>>> Urban Bike Project of Wilmington
>>> --a 501(c)3 non-profit bike shop--
>>> 1908 N. Market Street (entrance is in the parking lot behind the

Web Servant
Austin's Yellow Bike | www.austinyellowbike.org

"Be the change you would like to see in the world." - Gandhi
"Keep Cycling: it is Undoubtedly the Best form of Activism there is."