[TheThinkTank] What do you do when....oddball parts

Mark Rehder mark at re-cycles.ca
Wed Jul 2 13:47:53 PDT 2008

I'll admit we do look for reasons to scrap steel wheels, otherwise
we'd drown in them, and yes, if bad enough they'll just waste a
customer's time in terms of bad performance and trying to service
them. But if one is straight and rust-free it is kept, even though we
have more than we need, as it seems a crime to scrap a perfectly good
wheel.

The excess mtn. bike wheels are saved for donation to Bicycles For
Humanity (http://www.bicycles-for-humanity.org/Ottawa/index.php),
along with the knobby tires most urban riders don't want.  Steel 27s
are kept mainly for those diehard older guys that want to keep their
barely working Raleigh Gran Sport alive.

We have the same criteria for the 590s, and we have maybe one 597 any
given time, as there are far fewer Schwinns up here, and lots more
CCM and Canadian Tire Supercycles, which either use 590 or Cdn.
28" (700C).  We currently have enough used 590 tires in stock, but
few tubes, and have found a 559 mtn. tube can be stretched to fit.

BTW, we do not sell new parts and accessories.  We have purchased new
tires for use on our overhaul bikes if used ones are not available.
But if a customer needs / wants a brand new tire we tell them to go
to MEC or a local bike shop, as we do not compete with them.

Mark