[TheThinkTank] What do you do when....oddball parts

Urban Bike Project Wilmington, DE urbanbikeproject at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 07:36:16 PDT 2008

It's a Schwinn Frontier, black with red lettering.  Thanks for all the
suggestions, we'll probably swap the 650's out and stash them in purgatory.
Wilmington is a far cry from "hip" and we don't get too many Rene Herse
afficianados 'round here, hehe.

I was not as concerned about being able to find the tires cheaply but
whether or not we should be selling or giving away a bike with parts that
are not available locally and need to be ordered.  For instance, someone in
a shelter riding as their only transport having to wait a week to get a
replacement tire.

Happy 4th!

http://bcgp.blogspot.com/2008/06/bicyclists-declare-independence-from.html

Brian

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 6:29 PM, Justin Pogge <xecax at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  wow, i just helped someone work on a schwinn just like that with 650b
> tires(was yours yellow by chance?). she went to a LBS and they ordered her
> some tires from pyramid and they were under 20 dollars for the pair.
> we have a policy of never getting rid of anything that is still usable. we
> scrap a lot of old wheels that are unusable but in my years working at the
> community bicycle shop i have found that eventually i will need that oddball
> part for someones bike and when i dont have it because i knowingly scrapped
> it i kick myself.

Urban Bike Project of Wilmington
-a 501(c)3 non-profit bike shop-
1908 N. Market Street (entrance is in the parking lot behind the building)
Wilmington, DE 19801

Hours:
Thursday 6:30-9:00
Saturday 1:00-4:00