[TheThinkTank] Serving disabled populations in your shops/orgs?

Jason Moore moorepants at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 02:25:25 PST 2009

Check out the Lose the Training
Wheels<http://www.losethetrainingwheels.org/>program. They are experts
at this type of thing.

Also an interesting new product is coming out soon: The
Gyrobike<http://www.thegyrobike.com/>

My recommended method for teaching people to ride bicycles is this:

1. Remove the pedals of the bike and lower the seat such that the rider's
feet can easily touch the ground, this way the rider can scoot around and
get the feeling of the bicycle's dynamics. If you use training wheels or
support the rider with your hand it doesn't allow the person to feel how the
bicycle actually handles.
2. Once the rider is comfortable on the scooter, add the pedals so they can
try self propulsion.

People learn very fast with this method.

Jason Moore
http://mae.ucdavis.edu/~biosport/jkm/<http://mae.ucdavis.edu/%7Ebiosport/jkm/>
moorebicycles <http://moorebicycles.blogspot.com/>
Bicycle Dynamics Lab <http://www.bicycle.tudelft.nl/>, TU Delft
Sports Biomechanics Lab <http://mae.ucdavis.edu/%7Ebiosport>, UC Davis
Bike Church <http://daviswiki.org/Bike_Church> Minister, Davis, CA
Netherlands office phone # : +31 15 278 6932