[TheThinkTank] Managing cash

Krista Bowers bowers.krista at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 18:01:27 PDT 2009

We have just purchased a POS (Point-Of-Sale) register system and are looking
for a touchscreen to go with it (won't get too greasy, I hope!).  It will
have a locked drawer, and the very few who have access will have to log in.
This should take care of the accountability issue.  Should have it up and
running shortly.

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Mark Rehder <mark at re-cycles.ca> wrote:

> How do folks deal with the cash issue?
>
> We currently just have a metal cashbox in a desk drawer, and only staff
> have access to it.  But we've doubled our staff over the past year, and have
> new ones coming on board.  Our bookkeeper is a bit concerned about so many
> people having unchecked access to the cash, especially on busy nights when
> there can b a couple hundred dollars in small bills.  (The box is put away
> after each shift in a hiding place, and excess cash removed on a nightly
> basis during the busy season.)
>
> Our transactions are currently just written into a book, but it's looking
> like having a cash register is going to be the smart way to go, both for
> security as well as tracking transactions.  We currently are cash-only, no
> Interac or Visa.
>
> Mark Rehder - Director
> re-Cycles Bicycle Co-op
> http://re-cycles.ca