[TheThinkTank] Am I missing any great programs from my proposal?

Wendy Monroe wendy.monroe at usermail.com
Thu Mar 5 21:39:58 PST 2009

HI Bill,
I read the book about the Arcata Library Bike program... bought it
electronically off LuLu in January.  Found it inspiring, actually.

In our case, we would be lending out three wheeled cargo trikes  ...a
day at a time, I am thinking, rather than for weeks or months. I'm a
little worried about them being stolen or driven into a canal.

I'm thinking that, since the potential borrowers would not have credit
cards ( they are almost unknown in Holland, except for fairly rich
folks) The only way to ensure the return of the bikes
without asking for a hefty cash deposit, would be to hang on to
borrowers' passports or national ID cards.  Not very friendly... but
I'm not sure what else to do...

Lending Trailers... that is also a good idea!   Occasionally you see
people pulling them with their bikes.

One thing that you NEVER see in Amsterdam.... is an XtraCycle.  It
appears to be a cultural imperative here for people to always carry
loads in front of them.  Maybe to prevent theft?
I would like to have a bike with a Free Radical on it to lend, so
locals can try actually riding one...  they certainly are a much less
expensive ( and lighter!) cargo-carrying solution than a Bakfiets.

Road bikes... Around here, those appear to be primarily carbon-fiber
midlife crisis bikes for older men in Spandex.  Steel racing bikes are
'for English-speaking people,'  I have been told at various bike
shops.  (???)

And... probably most bikes one sees here are one-speed with coaster
brakes.  I hope to fix up as many donated older ones as possible and
give them to people who don't have bikes yet.

Yes, I was also thinking of having tools available for a walk-in DIY
repair show ( with advice)

And.. yes,, I love the Repair Manifesto too!  I want to have a copy of
posted on the wall of the Repair area.
( Platform 21 is an artists' space here in Amsterdam.)

thanks so much, everyone!

Wendy

Op Mar 6, 2009, om 2:20 AM heeft Bill Wright het volgende geschreven: