[TheThinkTank] Managing cash

Geoffrey B vous.je at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 12:38:58 PDT 2009

Our space, tries to record sales on project sheets, a volunteer files the
project sheet for how many parts used, then we give an estimate and allow
the user to drop how much cash they can on a PWYC basis.

We also have an official receipt book, we ask if they want one, but not
mandatory.

We have been suffering due to money logistics, how we agree on expenditures
for what projects. We try to create a consensus invovling committee meetings
and general monthly meetings. But its still geared around the two people
with the cheek book, and the ten people with keys to the lock box.

Bike Pirates
Toronto, Canada

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 3:19 PM, Scott Beardsley <sc0ttbeardsley at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Mark Rehder <mark at re-cycles.ca> wrote:
> > How do folks deal with the cash issue?
>
> We (Sacramento Bicycle Kitchen) have a paper log (ie a piece of paper
> with a log of each transaction) and cash drawer (bills only, no
> change). We are a 501c3 so we need to track donations ( >$250 requires
> a receipt ) as well as sales. We have one clerk per shift handle all
> of the money transactions. The sales tax is included in the price and
> we just work it all out later. The money is removed nightly and we
> leave a small bank ($25) in the drawer until the next shift. Luckily
> we haven't had any problems (yet). I'm working on getting a
> computerized system set up. Basically just a web form that dumps data
> into a spreadsheet or database. Then the daily totals are reconciled
> at the end of the shift. It'll be great to see exactly where most of
> our money comes from. I'd love to see a financial add-on to
> freehub[1]. We use freehub for tracking memberships/visitors. I might
> end up writing something for SBK if I can find some non-biking free
> time. :)
>
> Scott

Geoffrey B