[TheThinkTank] Youth Programs - Fees & Contracts

Maggie Burrus-Granger mburrus-granger at recycleabike.org
Thu Mar 26 09:00:47 PDT 2009

Our youth Build-a-Bike class is through local after school programs (10
weeks, twice a week, 2 hours each).

We have 3 instructors (2 paid, one volunteers)

Mechanic Instructor I: 41 hrs @ $15 = 615 x 2 = $1230
Bikes (Repairs and New Parts): $30 / student
Tool Use Fee: $4 / student
Consumable Supplies  (Grease, Lube, Hand Cleaner): $75
Helmets, Locks, and Lights: $28 / set

12 Student Class total = $2049

The local After school alliance pays for this (we apply for the grant) and
the kids pay nothing!

We're working on getting more grants and donations to cover the costs of
this stuff, as our program is costly, but this way we're not losing money or
tools.

Maggie

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 11:12 AM, Scott TenBrink
<scott at fitnesscouncil.org>wrote:

> " if they bail do you rat them out? "
>
> I missed that one in my previous, rambling message.
>
> Yes, I report back to parole agents on all classes, telling them who showed
> up and indicating if there were any behavior problems.  People often don't
> show for the class, but behavior hasn't been an issue.
> I find it is important to seem trustworthy and responsible to the agents.
> They won't promote the program if they think I'm not serious about the job.
> Reporting back keeps them from worrying about guys finding trouble during
> scheduled release times.
>
> Scott TenBrink
> Executive Director
> Fitness Council of Jackson