[TheThinkTank] Working on expensive bikes in your shop.

Brian brian at slobikekitchen.org
Thu May 27 14:10:34 PDT 2010

Hi again.  Thanks for the replies to the previous thread, hopefully people
found the responses useful.  Selling expensive bikes wasn't my question
though, perhaps I left my question too open ended.

Retry:

If a customer walks into your shop with a $5k carbon fiber road bike and
wants help doing xxx.  Do you have any shop guidelines on what is "too
risky" in terms of possible damage to the bike?  Perhaps it depends if there
is a professional mechanic in the shop at the time, etc...   Perhaps you
don't care what people do and it's all covered under "we are not
responsible"?

We've debated it among ourselves at SLO Bike Kitchen.  Part of our thought
is that it's their bike, we are just there to help.  The opposite argument
is that they expect us to know everything, and it's sometimes/usually hard
to keep track of every step someone does, which may result in them doing
something unfortunate while unsupervised.

In our case, we are 100% DYI w/us to help and we have no professional
service side to the shop.  We are also 100% volunteer.

Thanks!
Brian
SLO Bike Kitchen
www.slobikekitchen.org