[TheThinkTank] Mobile Bicycle Repair

Eric Montgomery emontgo1017 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 03:01:11 PDT 2011

I converted a three wheeled push childs scooter to a mobile bike
recovery/repair trailer
It converts from a carrier to a repair stand, wheel holder is also truing
stand, I am able to climb any hills tri-chain ring backed with a nine speed
34-11.

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 8:20 PM, <veganboyjosh at gmail.com> wrote:

> i had an idea for the toolsets used for mobile bike clinics that we never
> had a chance to implement. perhaps one of you will.
>
> there's always the issue of how to make sure you've got all the tools for
> the clinic (both at prep time at the shop/storage area and after the clinic
> is done, and it's time to roll up and out of there.
>
> a list of tools, even/especially one with photos and names of tools, is a
> little daunting for a new volunteer, less than fluent-in-bike-mechanic-lingo
> youth, or someone who doesn't speak the same language as you.
>
> what if the tools were all etched with numbers? you figure out your
> ultimate tool list first. figure out how many 15mm's you need, how many 6mm
> hexes, etc. then, line up all the tools and start at 1 and number them
> sequentially.
>
> when it's time to prep or tear down, you know that the kit has 72 tools.
> anyone who can read numbers can help gather tools. even if they don't know
> numbers, they can help gather tools in one area, and someone else can count
> the tools as they go into the box/trailer.
>

>   On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 6:15 PM, The Bicycle Tree <
> info at thebicycletree.org> wrote:
>
>>   Below is my response to a similar query a few months ago.  To that
>> response I will add:
>>
>> If we need to use one trailer (if there's only one person available to
>> haul), we eliminate one of the tables and one or both canopies.
>> - tool list: pretty much everything, we fill up three large tool boxes,
>> two with three drawers and top shelf each, we keep the tool boxes on a
>> plastic folding table.
>> - cargo bike vs. trailer vs. both - I like trailers because they're stable
>> and cheaper, if there's a mechanical problem you can switch bikes.  Trailers
>> are not as attractive as the cargo bike in the LAB article, though, or this
>> one: http://www.preenbulle.ch/26/v%C3%A9lomobile (dowload the
>> actives_mobiles.pdf)
>> - consumable parts list (tires, tubes, lube, et al) - all we bring are
>> tubes, cables, housing, some rim tape, brake pads, small parts drawers,
>> chains, ball bearings... we aren't really able to carry wheels or tires.
>> Actually, we could probably get some tires on there.
>> - what advocacy stuff to include (banners, stickers, brochures, and how to
>> carry them) - we have a plastic waterproof file box that we carry our email
>> list signup sheets, flyers, brochures, donation jar, stickers, spoke cards,
>> buncha stuff... a lot of this goes out on a table.
>> - booth, tent, other - two 12x12 ezups and two folding tables (plastic
>> ones are lighter than particle board)
>> - other issues I'm short-sighted on... getting people to haul the trailers
>> or bikes can be a bit tricky sometimes, because they have to be there
>> earliest and stay latest.
>>
>> We're mobile, looking to establish ourselves in a building, but mobile for
>> now.  We use two medium Bikes At Work trailers to haul everything - three
> [...]

Eric Montgomery
BikeMeEric
Recycled, Rescued, Custom Re/Built Bicycles
Custom Made Bamboo Bicycles
417 King Street West,
Brockville, Ontario
K6V 3S9