[TheThinkTank] Stolen and Suspicious bikes

Chris Chan chris.chan at edmontonbikes.ca
Wed Aug 24 17:51:00 PDT 2011

We don't see a lot of high-end bikes coming into our shop, so when something
catches our eye, we check the serial number in CPIC. You can do it here:
http://edmontonbikes.ca/stolenbikes/ (on the right side)

It's the national police database of stolen goods.

If it doesn't show up when we first check, we hang onto the bike for a few
weeks and check again. The database only stores numbers for 3 months, so if
we don't find it in those first two checks, chances are that no one can
legitimately claim the bike anyway. For high-end bikes, we've also called
the local bike shops that deal in the specific make of bike (e.g. only 1
shop carries Cervelos in Edmonton), since their clients usually chat with
the managers.

Otherwise, the bike is basically ours to do with as we like.  You're kind of
out of luck if you have a fancy bike and don't/can't report it to the
police.