[TheThinkTank] Fwd: Campus Bike Shops

Mark Rehder mark at re-cycles.ca
Thu Jul 28 12:57:35 PDT 2011

On 28-Jul-11, at 1:38 PM, Godwin ! wrote:

> reCycles in Ottawa, they've been around since 1994 and have staffing
> resources that are funded by the university.

Sorry, that is incorrect, as re-Cycles has been pretty much self-
sustaining since 2001.  Before 2000 we were under various guises
operating out of donated space since starting in early '97. Until last
year we did have a tools and supplies donor budget with MEC, but that
was it in terms of help. No university or other entity has ever given
us staffing money.

We indeed had some help from Carleton University, in that we became a
working group of OPIRG-Carleton (because they were incorporated and
had a Board) so that we could secure a Trillium Foundation grant to
get us on our way by securing a rented space. The grant went to the
PIRG, who then disbursed it to us. But we had our own bank account
from the start (though we had to fight for that) and they left us
blissfully alone.  So aside from a one-time donation of (I think) $500
from them a decade a ago we've been looking after ourselves. And happy
for it!  Grant applications - yecchhh...

Mark Rehder - Coordinator
re-Cycles Community Bike Shop
http://re-cycles.ca