[TheThinkTank] SCHOOL Bike Shops?

Pasqualina Azzarello director at recycleabicycle.org
Mon May 23 05:34:18 PDT 2011

Recycle-A-Bicycle in NYC began as a school-based shop in 1994 and has grown
into its social entrepreneurship model that currently consists of two
storefronts, and education center, and six school-based shops, in one middle
school and five high schools. With support from the EPA, a start up guide
called "Tools for Life" was published in 1997 and can be
read/downloaded/printed free of charge:
http://www.transalt.org/files/resources/toolsforlife/04preface.html Aside
from some of the materials costs listed in the appendix, the model still
holds up. In fact, I have met several people over the years who used it to
help set up shops and bike building programs.

Best,
Pasqualina

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 2:08 AM, Angel York <aniola at gmail.com> wrote:

>   If by school you mean colleges, there are a bunch.  There's a Bike Church
> at Cabrillo College in Santa Cruz, for instance.
>
> There's a middle school one here:
> http://www.ncsd.k12.ca.us/?DivisionID=5419&ToggleSideNav=  "The Bicycle
> Recycle Project took shape around the notion that middle school was the
> ideal time to teach students mechanical skills that they could use for the
> rest of their lives."
>
> Angel
>
> On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Daniel S <danmrc at yahoo.ca> wrote:
>

>> Hello.
>>
>> I'm looking for ideas around setting up a bike shop
>> to be used within a school division area.
>>
>> The students coming there would, I think,
>> be being worked with to address some "issues".
>> And/or students in general, probably.
>>
>> Anyone familiar with any school-used bike shops,
>> of any kind?
>>
>> Funding is something we're needing to look at, too.
>> Any ideas there?
>>
>> Cheers.
>> Daniel.

Pasqualina Azzarello