[TheThinkTank] Introducing myself, and shop signage query

David Eyer Davis davey at bicyclecollective.org
Fri Jun 14 12:05:37 PDT 2013

Hey y'all!
I'm Davey, I'm taking over for Mr. Jonathan Morrison here at the Bicycle
Collective in Utah. I've been subscribed to the list for many-a-year and
have enjoyed picking our collective brains here. I hope to meet many of you
at Bike! Bike! this year and at Interbike as well.

Does anyone know of a good resource that documents community bike shop
interior signage? I personally recall seeing great signage at Bike Kitchen
in San Francisco and at Community Cycle Center, but I'm sure we have a ton
of good examples betwixt us.

I'm specifically interested in upping our signage game in the following
ways:
1. An immediate sign with graphics of the different bicycle types and what
they're typically used for, with details about how to size a bike for
yourself. The intent would be to get a customer armed with the basics of
bike purchasing without immediately taking too much attention from a
volunteer.
2. placemats beneath plexiglass on bench surfaces with standard mechanical
repairs simplified. What mechanical tasks have you found to be aided by
diagrams? which are useless to explain through pictures?
3. Basic parts identification, the difference between a freewheel and a
casette, the difference between one-piece, cotter pins and square-tapered
cranks, threaded vs. threaded headsets, etc.
4. other things that I haven't thought of but you have.

I'd appreciate links to pictures, and would be happy to compile a page on
the bike collectives wiki of our findings.

Thanks,
David Eyer Davis
Executive Director
Bicycle Collective
c: 801-230-6308
www.bicyclecollective.org

The mission of the Bicycle Collective is to promote cycling as an effective
and sustainable form of transportation and as a cornerstone of a cleaner,
healthier, and safer society. The Collective provides refurbished bicycles
and educational programs to the community, focusing on children and lower
income households.