[TheThinkTank] Safe space policy

Plan B nolabikeproject at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 12:51:34 PDT 2013

Geoffery,

Basically we try to make sure people feel welcome and no one feels
exclusion at Plan B. That being said, we're in New Orleans and
culturally, it's acceptable for shenanigans to happen that may not be
acceptable in other spaces, which is fine, as long as it's consensual
and no one feels uncomfortable. (Partners being flirty, etc.) Off-colors
comments of a racist or classist nature are completely untolerated.
Furthermore, our methods for dealing with disruption have gotten a lot
better. If people are wasted or otherwise intoxicated and pose a threat
to themselves, others, or our tools, someone will very directly tell
them that it's time to leave and invite them back when their sober/not
pissed off. Once in a while we have someone combative or violent. As a
rule, we generally don't call cops unless the situation is way out of
control or there is the threat of imminent physical danger. It's pretty
rare.

One thing that's tricky is that we have a few older (55+) males that are
regulars and are misogynists and this is something that has been
culturally bred into them. We counter it as best we can and most of us
are understanding that we just need to call them out politely when we
see their "Daddy knows best" attitude emerging. It's tricky, because
while not entirely blameless, you have to take into account differences
in age, culture, and worldview. If the shit gets out of hand, we
certainly make them leave.

As a final note, we're pretty anti-violent. However, when someone
punched me in the face a few years ago, I was the first one to pick up a
pipe-wrench and defend myself. At the time the shop was full of people
and everyone was terrified. After "an eye for an eye" took place (Sorry,
there's no cheek-turning in self defense), he was dragged out of our
space and kindly deposited on the sidewalk. We then locked the doors and
told him the cops were on the way (they weren't). He left quickly
thereafter.

I've seen the guy a few times since then and he always threatens to kill
me. Meh. It's been tried repeatedly.

I guess my answer is that keeping your shop a safe space and the tactics
to enforce that are almost entirely situational. I suppose our policy
would be "Be nice. Be firm. Don't let anyone kick your ass."

Or, as we like to say in New Orleans, "Be Nice or Leave."

Victor Pizarro
Project Organizer
Plan B, The New Orleans Community Bike Project