[TheThinkTank] What's in a Name?

David Eyer Davis davey at bicyclecollective.org
Fri Jun 14 14:17:45 PDT 2013

I'm all for a 'You Fascist Scum' Bike Shop.

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 2:03 PM, <veganboyjosh at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm personally a fan of names with a double entendre (derailer, freeride,
> etc) that are also a little edgy to imply some of the radical happenings
> inside the shop, without the heavy handed political sloganeering of
> something like The Destroy All Capitalism, You Fascist Scum Bike Shop.
>
> I think it's definitely worth thinking about before you commit to it, as I
> worked with an org (members of which are on this list and may chime in)
> which was essentially operated and named by one person very early on, and
> the name was changed once more folks came on board. The original name stuck
> around for a while (and may still to this day, 9 years later) and things
> like insurance, leases, checks, tax exemption forms, grant applications,
> etc had to be made out to the original name which could be confusing for
> some folks when it showed up instead of the newer, more common name.
> Something to keep in mind while setting up infrastructure like org name and
> identity.
>
> I grew up in DIY/punk circles, and coming up with names for bands has
> always been a great pastime for my friends and I, whether there was an
> actual band or not.
>  Think of the work you've done so far. Think of your elevator pitch that
> you currently use. Are there words or phrases that continually come up so
> far that might work well as a name for your group?
>

> On Friday, June 14, 2013, Recycle wrote:
>
>> We are Recycle Bikes for Kids, chosen because we think it best told who
>> we wanted to be. We have since branched out to include a more community
>> view but the name stays because kids are our main focus.
>>
>> Still love the name even though it is often shortened to Bikes for Kids.
>> Much like naming your child you have to consider what it might be
>> shortened to, what it rhymes with or even what acronym it produces
>> Good luck. I look forward to seeing your decision
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Jun 14, 2013, at 12:22 PM, Matthew VanSlyke <
>> vanslyke.matthew at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Plans are progressing nicely here in the Empire State and if all goes
>> well we'll be opening a new community bike shop here in Utica, NY very
>> soon.
>>
>> As you all know, there are many, many details and decisions to be made.
>> One of these early decisions is choosing the right name. We've bounced
>> around several ideas and I'm trying to come up with something that jumps
>> out at me but so far that hasn't happened.
>>
>> So I thought I'd put it out to this group and ask that you share some
>> ideas about how you came to be "who" you are.
>>
>> Did you:
>> Pick names from a hat?
>> Throw darts at a wall?
>> Take a vote?
>> Go with your gut and use the first name that came to mind?
>>
>> And, do you now regret the name you chose for any reason? Did you end up
>> changing the name? If so, why?
>>
>> I'd like to hear from you. Thanks a bunch.

> [...]

David Eyer Davis
Executive Director
Bicycle Collective
c: 801-230-6308
www.bicyclecollective.org

The mission of the Bicycle Collective is to promote cycling as an effective
and sustainable form of transportation and as a cornerstone of a cleaner,
healthier, and safer society. The Collective provides refurbished bicycles
and educational programs to the community, focusing on children and lower
income households.