[TheThinkTank] City Support for Community Bike Shops

Mary Lauran Hall mlhall at peoplepoweredmovement.org
Mon Jun 17 05:14:42 PDT 2013


Hi Lise,

Sure, I'll keep you in the loop.

Best,
Mary Lauran


On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 8:13 AM, Lise Rask <liseraskmail at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mary Lauran,
> thanks for your reply. I will definitely get in touch with the Active
> Transportation Alliance. And it would be great to hear about your findings
> on Chicago in the research that you are doing.
>
> Thanks again!
> Best, Lise
>
>
> Lise Rask
> JB10 - Næstveds Ungdomskulturhus | Jernbanegade 10 | 4700 Næstved
>
> Plan, By & Proces | Roskilde Universitet
> Borups Allé 105, 2. th. | 2000 Frederiksberg
> 28908635 | liserask at ruc.dk | liseraskmail at gmail.com
>
>
>
> 2013/6/17 Mary Lauran Hall <mlhall at peoplepoweredmovement.org>
>
>> Hi Lise, thanks for getting in touch.
>>
>> I'll let you know about what we hear from the Chicago groups (like you
>> said, we're still at the early stages.)
>>
>> In terms of folks to speak with, I unfortunately don't know anybody at
>> the city. I'd suggest getting in touch with the Chicago groups to ask them
>> if they have contacts at the city that you could speak with. It also might
>> be worth asking folks at the Active Transportation Alliance.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> Best,
>> Mary Lauran
>>
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 5:26 AM, Lise Rask <liseraskmail at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Mary Lauran Hall and the Alliance for Biking and Walking
>>>
>>> I follow the Community Bike Shop-mailing list though I'm actually sited
>>> in Copenhagen, Denmark, working on my thesis in urban planning. I'm
>>> exploring the mutual positive or negative relation between urban
>>> segregation and physical mobility.
>>>
>>> You email immediately caught my attention, since I'm very interested in
>>> the cooperation between the official city government and the private or
>>> non-governmental initiatives in the field of mobility.
>>>
>>>  I know that you are only in the beginning of your research on how
>>> community bike shops are working with cities (and vice versa), but I would
>>> like to ask you if you have any knowledge on how the collaboration (if any)
>>> is between the City of Chicago and the bike shops there? And if possible,
>>> if you have any suggestion on who to contact in Chicago (besides the
>>> community bike shops themselves) to get an impression of this?
>>>
>>> I'm coming to Chicago in one week to do field studies, so your answer
>>> could be very helpful.
>>>
>>> Thank you very much, and my biggest appreciation of you work!
>>> Sincerely,
>>> Lise Rask
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Lise Rask
>>> JB10 - Næstveds Ungdomskulturhus | Jernbanegade 10 | 4700 Næstved
>>>
>>> Plan, By & Proces | Roskilde Universitet
>>> Borups Allé 105, 2. th. | 2000 Frederiksberg
>>> 28908635 | liserask at ruc.dk | liseraskmail at gmail.com
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> 2013/6/14 Mary Lauran Hall <mlhall at peoplepoweredmovement.org>
>>>
>>>> Hey everybody,
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> What if more cities paid rent for community bike shops?
>>>>
>>>> There's huge potential for more cities to invest in the growth of local
>>>> community bike shops. But first, we need to get a better sense of what
>>>> cities are already doing - and where there's room to improve.
>>>>
>>>> The Alliance for Biking & Walking is teaming up with the League of
>>>> American Bicyclists to find out more about how cities work with community
>>>> bike shops around the U.S. and Canada.
>>>>
>>>> Please offer input on how your city helps -- or doesn't help -- your
>>>> community bike shop. <http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CommBikeShop>
>>>>
>>>> Using feedback from this survey, we'll be better able to advise cities
>>>> on how aid community bike shops and foster increased collaboration between
>>>> cities and shops.
>>>>
>>>> The survey results will also help improve questions about support for
>>>> community bike shops in future Bicycle Friendly Community surveys. The
>>>> League's Bicycle Friendly Community Program (BFC) provides a roadmap to
>>>> improve conditions for bicycling in communities and offers national
>>>> recognition for cities that support bicycling. Asking about city support
>>>> for community bike shops in a future survey could help encourage more
>>>> cities to form beneficial partnerships with shops.
>>>>
>>>> But first, we need to get a sense of how community bike shops are
>>>> currently working with cities.
>>>>
>>>> Could you offer input from your shop's perspective?
>>>>
>>>> http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CommBikeShopTest<http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CommBikeShop>
>>>>
>>>> Thanks so much, and ride on!
>>>>
>>>> Best,
>>>> Mary Lauran
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Mary Lauran Hall
>>>> Communications Manager
>>>> Alliance for Biking & Walking
>>>> mlhall at peoplepoweredmovement.org
>>>> (202) 642 - 6617
>>>>
>>>> P.O. Box 65150
>>>> Washington, DC 20035
>>>>
>>>> *We've got big plans for 2013. Join or renew<http://www.peoplepoweredmovement.org/site/index.php/membership/welcome/> with
>>>> the Alliance today!*
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Thethinktank mailing list
>>>> Thethinktank at lists.bikecollectives.org
>>>> To unsubscribe, send a blank email to
>>>> TheThinkTank-leave at bikecollectives.org
>>>> To manage your subscription, plase visit:
>>>>
>>>> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/listinfo.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Thethinktank mailing list
>>> Thethinktank at lists.bikecollectives.org
>>> To unsubscribe, send a blank email to
>>> TheThinkTank-leave at bikecollectives.org
>>> To manage your subscription, plase visit:
>>>
>>> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/listinfo.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Mary Lauran Hall
>> Communications Manager
>> Alliance for Biking & Walking
>> mlhall at peoplepoweredmovement.org
>> (202) 642 - 6617
>>
>> P.O. Box 65150
>> Washington, DC 20035
>>
>> *We've got big plans for 2013. Join or renew<http://www.peoplepoweredmovement.org/site/index.php/membership/welcome/> with
>> the Alliance today!*
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Thethinktank mailing list
>> Thethinktank at lists.bikecollectives.org
>> To unsubscribe, send a blank email to
>> TheThinkTank-leave at bikecollectives.org
>> To manage your subscription, plase visit:
>>
>> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/listinfo.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>>
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Thethinktank mailing list
> Thethinktank at lists.bikecollectives.org
> To unsubscribe, send a blank email to
> TheThinkTank-leave at bikecollectives.org
> To manage your subscription, plase visit:
>
> http://lists.bikecollectives.org/listinfo.cgi/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org
>
>


-- 
Mary Lauran Hall
Communications Manager
Alliance for Biking & Walking
mlhall at peoplepoweredmovement.org
(202) 642 - 6617

P.O. Box 65150
Washington, DC 20035

*We've got big plans for 2013. Join or
renew<http://www.peoplepoweredmovement.org/site/index.php/membership/welcome/>
with
the Alliance today!*
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.bikecollectives.org/pipermail/thethinktank-bikecollectives.org/attachments/20130617/d63f24c3/attachment.html>


More information about the Thethinktank mailing list