[TheThinkTank] Income Statement and Cash Flow for bike co-ops

Marissa Pherson marissapherson at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 20:18:51 PST 2014

I think the problem with answering this is that there is such a wide
variety of organizations, and we don't know anything about your situation.
What size is your city, what kind of programs do you foresee, do you have a
board of directors, do you have a space yet, etc.

There are very small shoestring budget co-ops that operate on volunteers
and unpredictable donations, and there are very strong co-ops that receive
a variety of grant funding and have well-defined programming and staff to
match. The bigger it gets, the more you bring in and the more you can spend
(more tools to buy, improvement ideas, website, part-time staff, etc.). Are
you going to incorporate? Apply for 501c3 status?

You can look up any 501c3 organization's 990-N form via Guidestar to get an
idea. These will be established organizations, with a board of directors
and all the benefits of 501c3 status and established community contacts.

Marissa Pherson

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 7:06 PM, tenaya goldsmith <tenayagoldsmith at gmail.com