[TheThinkTank] Income Statement and Cash Flow for bike co-ops

Krista Nicole passionforwords at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 09:07:28 PST 2014

>From a DIY, limited resources and limited manpower standpoint, a good way
to get started is by acquiring basic tool donations from a couple bike
shops that are supportive of your efforts, and begin by hosting pop-up bike
repair clinics in parks, near metro stations, places that cyclists frequent
- that way you can start to help the community and generate some donations
and spread the word about your organization.

This is how we started the Valley Bikery in the San Fernando Valley (Los
Angeles), with basically no seed money. We didn't require a fee to do
tune-ups and repairs at our mobile stations, but we stated that we were
accepting donations and working towards a brick-and-mortar location. Our
most successful pop up location was in a park alongside a heavily used bike
path, best timing was Sunday mornings/afternoon. We had a BBQ fundraiser,
sold burgers & dogs donated by people who believed in the project, and
conducted a very useful survey to gauge people's needs, volunteer interest,
skill level, and location so we could start a newsletter and build a
volunteer base before we had an actual space. We held regular meetings at a
pizza joint and established some of the structural elements and went to
work helping people in the community, training our volunteers, and figuring
out where to best set up shop. We partnered with metro who donated patch
kits and bike maps and gave us a night to set up at the plaza outside one
of the train stations.

Our first space was in a bike shop that was huge, and essentially had more
space than they needed. We gave them a percentage of our donations instead
of a flat rental fee, which helped us establish a basic fund before we were
making enough money to pay real rent. That location wasn't great, but it
got us on our feet, and we eventually moved to an independent location in a
more centralized area.

Don't think that you need to invest a ton of money to make it work. Build a
core group of volunteers and get out into the community and show people
what you can do. Table at community events. Collect donations at every
opportunity. If there is another co op nearby, ask them to help train your
volunteers, and offer to put in hours at their space in exchange. The
Bikerowave on the west side of the city was extremely supportive in this
way, and even gave us a cut of their income for the nights we came in to
work at their shop (pre-arranged times). They also donated some overflow
parts that they didn't really have room for. Our parts cache wasn't great
at the beginning, but we facilitated the process by accepting donations at
all hours to our homes, which we would then take to the co-op during our
open hours. We went to the people who had stuff to give us, we asked for
anything they might be able to offer.

Your resources are people, events, and places. Leverage them and you'll be
OK.

--
Krista Carlson
Contributing Editor