[TheThinkTank] women/women identified/trans open shop night

Leslie Peteya lesliepeteya at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 10:43:19 PDT 2014

We have both a women's night and a trans/queer night. Mainly, because we
can serve the 2 different populations better.

Our collective has had several intense discussions around why we need such
nights. I explain the bro-chisimo environment of
fixing bikes, the masculine energy, some men's tendency to jump and offer
to 'help', discomfort felt by queer/trans populations in
interacting with homophobic patrons, women's historic acculturation to be
accommodating and not speak up, as and maybe I just want to hang out with
my fellow women and share cupcakes, as all reasons for having these nights.

Best,
Leslie
Durham Bike Co-op