[TheThinkTank] What do you do with your dirty rags?

Jonathan Morrison jonathan at bicyclecollective.org
Fri Oct 9 15:25:33 PDT 2015

It really depends on your area's environmental issues.  You have to pick
your poison.

If water pollution is the biggest concern, do not clean them or use a
service that cleans them.  If air pollution is the biggest concern, do not
burn them or use a service that burns them.  If soil pollution is the
biggest concern, do not throw them away.

For salt lake city, Utah (a desert climate with inversion issues) I would
rank our importance in this order:

1) Air
2) Water
3) Soil/Earth

So we throw them away and they sit at the local dump. If we wanted to go
the extra mile we would bring them to the hazardous waste facility at the
dump for special processing.  But without really knowing what that entails
it could be worse.  The time required to drive to the dump takes away time
from the activities defined by our mission statement.  You also don't want
the fire hazard of a pile of oily rags sitting around.