[TheThinkTank] Travel Equity for BikeBike

Angel York aniola at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 15:48:44 PDT 2015

I really like this idea!  Here are a couple of thoughts:

- I attended a couple conferences recently that I wouldn't otherwise have
been able to attend by signing up to volunteer at each conference.  Food
was included.  (I was really impressed by OSB conference; more details on
the ways they focused on equity available if you're interested)

- I was able to attend a Bici! Bici! in Southern California once because
our bike collective paid the bus fare to travel for the only two people
interested to travel all the way from Northern California.  It was a great
experience, and I still remember it years later.

- I have never been to Bike! Bike!, but I've attended a couple regional
Bici! Bici!s, because, in addition to the hardship of buying a ticket to a
faraway place, I am a person who values being able to transport myself by
bike, as I would expect some non-attendees are, and I have trouble getting
past the environmental barrier of traveling such a long distance, even for
what I know to be an amazing event with people I'd love to meet, see again,
get to know, share with, learn from.

Personally, I believe that bike collectives have grown enough to the point
where there are enough organizations that there can be a stronger focus on
cohering the regional bike bikes and the zine zine (hey, any more info
forthcoming with that?), with the centralized international bike bike
happening only once every 3-5 years in the name of giving people with low
incomes and collectives who want to send some core volunteers the time to
save up to attend, and to reduce the impact of long-distance travel on the
environment.

Angel York