[TheThinkTank] Abandoned Bike Ordinance?

Stephen Andruski swandruski at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 08:52:18 PDT 2016

In the US I think this would need to be handled as a law or City ordinance.
But even then I can envision a lot of complaints. People take their
personal property rights VERY seriously. Universities are generally not
considered "public property" and so they can confiscate abandoned bikes on
their property.

I think getting the City to institute such a law would be useful. I know of
a case where a neighborhood group asked the police to deal with bikes
abandoned and locked to street signs in their neighborhood. The police said
they couldn't do anything and the neighborhood eventually dealt with it
themselves. At some point an abandoned bike is not just an eye-sore, but a
potential safety issue for children in the area.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Steve Andruski
The Rockville Bike Hub
Rockville MD

--

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
character, give him power."