[TheThinkTank] need examples of expected shop behavior policies

Jim Sheehan jim at ohiocitycycles.org
Wed Mar 2 08:36:00 PST 2016

Friends,
We have always had a maximally inclusive approach for anyone who wants to
volunteer, and have recently opened up public shop-use to walk-ins (after
eliminating membership as too exclusive and cumbersome).

We have worked hard to be directly engaged in each visitor's endeavors to
meet their goals no matter their situation, and it has worked out well
except for very occasional situations (less than 5 over 10 years) when
someone was unruly, combative, or stole things.

With growing demand still handled by a small staff of employees and key
volunteers we need a clear and firm policy to make our expectations (and
the consequences for disregarding them) more clear than just explaining our
principles of "respect, resourcefulness, and reciprocity." And, as our
staff grows, a consistent policy will be even more needed.

So we're asking for any behavior policies that your organizations
have written, and your thoughts on their effectiveness and/or any
unforeseen costs or benefits, so that we all can benefit from your
collective experience -- and perhaps expand
https://www.bikecollectives.org/wiki/index.php?title=Rules

Thanks!

Peace,
Jim