[TheThinkTank] storing used cables and housing

cyclista at inventati.org cyclista at inventati.org
Fri Sep 8 01:34:30 PDT 2017

Josh's recent thread had me thinking that people might be interested in
our used cable and housing storage systems.

(also, Josh: our used cables are priced the same as all our other used
parts, a mandatory pay-what-you-want donation)

At Recycle Ithaca's Bicycles we inspect and condition used cables and
housings before storing them. It's fairly easy and simple.

Cables having lost strands, or housings with cracked shielding are put
into scrap.

If cables are intact but a little rusty, we steel wool them. We also
un-kink them and cut off frayed ends. This means they are ready for the
next person to use, but perhaps more importantly more likely to be used
- we try to avoid the syndrome where we have parts piling up because no
one selects them because they seem like junk.

We store the used cables as whips. They hang vertically. This means
people get to find ones of proper length much more easily, and longer
cables aren't incessantly getting wasted through people cutting them
shorter when they can just as easily find one already the proper length.
Each whip can store dozens of cables.

Housings are a little trickier because they have no heads to prevent
them pulling through the zip ties, so we add friction using an inner
tube. Cables and housings get fed in through the top, which is another
reason to clip the frayed bits off the ends, they'd never insert cleanly
if the ends were a mess.

These whips are also very portable.

Shorter housings just get stored in a tray in the parts room.

Pictures offer a better explanation. I've added some bonus pictures of
our shop :)

-Cyclista