[TheThinkTank] Any Experience With Getting Bicycles/Bicycle Repair to Folks in Haiti?

Jonathan Rosenbaum gnuser at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 21:17:58 PDT 2017

I am copying this message to Joe "Tiger" Sallmen <tiger at tigerboy.com>
who has jump started a program in Haiti.  Positive Spin recently donated
a bunch of parts to ship out to the effort.

Joe said,

Did some volunteer work in Haiti helping local kids fix up their
bicycles at a school over the weekend. Found an enormous demand for
this, and hoping to make bicycle repair a school activity. In Haiti all
the kids told their friends about what we were doing so we were
overwhelmed. I quickly ran out of the few parts I brought with me, then
we found a bicycle shop in St. Marc where I bought more and ran out of
that too.

He is a great resource to help answer your questions, and he would
appreciate your help!

-Jonathan

On 2017-09-08 15:26, Jimmy Hallyburton wrote:

> Just wanted to check in to see if any of you have worked with any bicycle projects/programs in Haiti?
>
> I'm heading down in November to teach some housing construction and bicycle repair classes and am curious what sort of bicycle resources might be available in the community?
>
> Is there a local source for affordable bicycles and parts?
>
> Are there organizations currently shipping bicycles to Haiti?
>
> How accessible is bicycle repair in cities and rural areas?
>
> Have there been any attempts to assist with DIY community bicycle shops?
>
> I'll be bringing a bicycle to ride around on as well as some toolsets to leave behind with class participants. I haven't been able to find a lot of information about the bicycle community in Haiti and would love hear any thoughts, ideas, or insights.
>
> Ride On!
>
> Jimmy Hallyburton
> Founder / Executive Director
> Boise Bicycle Project
> (208)-429-6520
> 1027 Lusk St Boise, ID 83706
> www.boisebicycleproject.org [1]
>
> Explore some of the BBP Journey in my TEDx Talk on Moving at the Speed of Discovery [2]!

Links:
------
[1] http://www.boisebicycleproject.org
[2] https://youtu.be/yDubr-RjlCE?t=6s