[TheThinkTank] Neighborhood Bike Works is hiring a Lead Mechanic in our Community Bike Shop

Steve Maluk steve at neighborhoodbikeworks.org
Tue Sep 26 11:09:14 PDT 2017

Neighborhood Bike Works (in Philadelphia) is hiring for a Lead Mechanic
position in our earned-revenue Community Bike Shop.  Please help us spread
the word.  The job description is below, and also attached as a pdf...

*Bike Shop Lead Mechanic – Neighborhood Bike Works*

*Neighborhood Bike Works (NBW) *inspires youth and strengthens Philadelphia
communities by providing equitable access to bicycling and bike repair
through education, recreation, leadership, and career building
opportunities. NBW offers after-school and summer programming to youth,
runs adult bike repair programming, and operates a community bike shop as a
source of earned revenue for our non-profit organization.

*Position Summary:  *Neighborhood Bike Works is seeking a part-time *Bike
Shop Lead Mechanic* in our Community Bike Shop.  This position is
responsible for repairing and refurbishing used bicycles for sale in our
earned-revenue bike shop, and assists members of the public in finding
bikes, bike parts, and accessories sold in our shop.  Additionally, this
position will greet members of our community from various stakeholder
groups, including youth, parents, volunteers, donors, and adult program
participants.  The Lead Mechanic works alongside volunteers to assist the
public during NBW’s Bike Church hours.  This position is expected to model
NBW’s values of access, equity, and in creating and maintaining a safe
space at NBW.

*Reports to:  *Shop Manager

*Start Date & Work Schedule: * The preferred start date for this position
is November 6, 2017.  This part-time position will work 30 hours-per-week
during our shop’s peak season (April 1 to September 30) and 20
hours-per-week during the off-season (October 1 to March 31).  The position
will include some evening and weekend work, and is based at our Community
Bike Shop and headquarters at 3939 Lancaster Avenue in West Philadelphia.

*Primary Responsibilities*

·         Repair and refurbish bicycles to a saleable quality, assess value
of bicycles, and sell bicycles during our Community Shop time.

·         Deliver helpful customer service to a diverse base of customers
and volunteers during Bike Church and the Community Bike Shop.

·         Assist patrons with bike repairs during Bike Church hours,
ensuring the focus remains on learning and empowerment for Bike Church
patrons.

·         Support daily shop operations including daily setup and closing
of workshop areas and sales floor, organizing product for sale, answering
phone, cleaning, and light facilities projects.

·         Support Donations Coordinator in keeping inventory organized and
sorting bike donations.

*Qualifications:*

The ideal candidate will have 2+ years of experience as a bike mechanic, a
year or more of work experience in a bike shop or another customer-focused
retail environment, will exhibit excellent communication and customer
service skills, and be skilled in the use of a wide range of bicycle tools
and the repair of bicycles built from the 1970’s and later.  Candidates
with non-traditional work and education experience are encouraged – please
tell us about those experiences that qualify you for this position.

Additional Qualifications:

·         Driven by the mission and work of NBW.

·         Commitment to social justice and youth leadership.

·         Willingness to work as a team player with other staff,
volunteers, and youth.

·         Reliable, self-motivated, and with a keen attention to detail.

·         Sense of humor, patience, and flexibility. NBW is a collaborative
and fast-paced work environment.

·         Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.

·         License to drive a motor vehicle in Pennsylvania, preferred.

·         Successful passing of PA State Police Criminal Background Check,
Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance, and FBI Clearance required.

*Compensation:*

This is a part-time, non-exempt, hourly position.  The starting pay range
for this position will be $12.50 to $14.75 per hour, depending on
experience and qualifications.  NBW offers a competitive benefits package,
including health, dental, and retirement plans.  Additionally, NBW offers
the equivalent of two weeks of paid vacation (50 hours) for the employee in
the first year of this position, as well as personal paid time off, and an
employee purchase benefit on bicycles, parts, and accessories.

*To apply for this position, please email a resume and cover letter* to
jobs at neighborhoodbikeworks.org, with “Lead Mechanic Position” as the
subject heading of your email.  Applications received by October 11, 2017
will receive priority consideration.  We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
and actively seek staff who reflect the community we serve.  Candidates of
color are encouraged to apply.

---
Steve Maluk
He/Him/His
Executive Director
*Neighborhood Bike Works <http://neighborhoodbikeworks.org>*
<215-386-0316%20x%20113>215-386-0316 x118

*Join NBW at** Youth Bike Summit* *2017*
October 6-8, 2017
Arlington, VA + Washington, DC
[image: ybs-2017-postcard-orange-reduced] <http://youthbikesummit.org>