[TheThinkTank] Incentivizing regular shifts in volunteer run shops!

Vincenzo loco wormsign at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 15:03:15 PDT 2018

Our shop offers incentive in several ways.
Maintaining hours is how you retain your status as a 'volunteer member'.
Benefits of being a 'volunteer member' include discounted parts, voting
membership (being able to vote in meetings), free use of the space, the
ability to order stuff through our distributors.
In addition we have regular potlucks and movie nights at the shop to
encourage shop community.

Another strategy has been selecting folks who can maintain a regular shift
(one specific day a week) and having them be a key holder. We encourage new
volunteers to select one specific weekday that they will volunteer. The key
holder will also usually keep an open group text for the regular volunteers
on that shift so they can communicate days they might miss earlier and try
to find an alternate to cover for them.

To keep the volunteers on the tuesday shift happy (the one I have the key
for) I often will buy cheap pizza or donuts for the group.
Best
Enzo